Thursday, April 19, 2012

Why Do Referee's Suck So Bad?

Like seriously?! Why?! The referee's in the NHL, NFL, and MLB are infinitely better. NBA referees are just the worst. So bad. I understand that being a basketball referee is very hard (I've done it many times), but NBA refs are REALLY bad.

Basketball is a very dynamic sport and it's not possible to get every call right. Basketball may even be the hardest sport to officiate. It's not possible to get every call right in any sport. This is because officiating is all about opinions. There are no robots that see every play develop. Referees are humans and humans aren't perfect. This doesn't mean I like referees. They still piss me off more than I cheer for them. Nearly every single NBA game I watch, there are multiple instances where I'm yelling at the television in unison with the pissed off players and broadcasters.

I do appreciate referees though. They take a lot of shit and hardly ever get congratulated. Without referees, sports wouldn't be the same. We need them, but they need to be better. Maybe they should review plays more? I don't know.

On the other hand, NFL referees are incredible. I'm always surprised at how many calls they get right. They don't require replays very often, and when the broadcasters show the replay, I'm always like, "Wow, the ref got that right. He did actually make that catch". NBA referees seem to miss calls that are blatantly obvious. Plays that occur literally right in front of the ref. So annoying.

It's not just NBA referees. Most basketball referees suck. I've played intramural basketball for the entirety of my time at UVM and am always surprised at HOW bad the refs are. I understand that they are just college kids looking to make a little money, but referees always seem to get under my skin, no matter the situation. I'm going to supply you with a little story about my intramural team this spring: we went 3-0 in the regular season (Yeah, there's only 3 games per season). For our first-round playoff matchup, my team was really excited. The game was even more exciting. Sure, the refs had been calling terrible shit (or lack thereof) the entire game, but it was tied at 44-44 with two minutes remaining. Suddenly, the other team rebounds the ball off one of my team's shots and clearly fumbles the ball out of bounds (directly in front of the referee). I went to go inbound the ball and was just a little shocked when the ref said it wasn't our possession. I gave him an aggrivated/confused look and said, "What?! That ball just clearly bounced off the other guy's knee!" Even the other team said possession belonged to us! The referee refused to change his mind. This is when I got pissed. "That's such bullshit! How can you make that call?!" This is when I was given a technical foul. According to intramural sports rules, even one technical will irreversibly eliminate your team from the playoffs. Yeah, I hate referees. This concludes my rant.


No comments:

Post a Comment