Friday, April 27, 2012

My Love-Hate Relationship With the NFL Draft


There are a plethora of reasons to love the NFL Draft. The entire event is ripe with drama and excitement. Over the course of four days all 32 teams will select players that can make, or break their franchises in the years to come. The importance of decisions made on draft day cannot be understated. Teams that perform well in the draft can rejuvenate old rosters or propel average teams into juggernaut status. Those that don’t use the draft to their advantage can basically kiss goodbye any chances of hoisting the Vince Lombardi trophy at season’s end. Add to this the numerous heart-warming stories of players overcoming insurmountable odds to make it to the NFL and you have enough drama to make Hollywood directors salivate.

Based on the title of this, you can probably guess however, that there are a number of things that I don’t enjoy about the rookie selection process. Normally, I would form the certain aspects of the draft that I hate into a list but I was hoping to do power rankings for the MLB in the near future so I don’t want two lists right in a row. Not that lists aren’t awesome, I just don’t want you thinking it’s the only kind of writing I am capable of. Instead, I will simply break down a couple of the more crappy features. I guess, the best way to categorize what you are about to read is, a highly structured and organized tirade on the draft.
          
 My first and largest reason for hating the NFL draft is the analysts they bring in to help with the draft coverage. Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay, seriously get under my skin. In the months leading up to the big day these two jabronies get more and more air time on ESPN. I stress months due to the fact that they can be seen spewing predictions out of their mouths as early as the first of the year. When the NFL season is over its fine, bring these two in and talk my ears off, but when that pigskin is still being tossed around and the Lombardi Trophy is still in its case I don’t want draft analysis taking away from the real sports. One last gripe, which is only directed towards Kiper, is that he has annoying hair. What might you ask is annoying hair? Well for your better understanding I will attach a picture and you can see for yourself. A couple months of staring at that coiffure and I think you’ll understand my chagrin. 

Look at that Hair!
           
In regards to non-hair related issues, the draft has lost some of its’ mystique in recent years. NFL teams at the top of the draft board have deflated some of the drama by releasing to the media who they will choose with their pick days, weeks and sometimes even months before the draft takes place. This year we knew the Indianapolis Colts were going to take quarterback Andrew Luck from Stanford with the 1st overall pick basically the second their last snap was taken. The way the NFL determines draft order is based on who had the worst record and then the picks go up from their based on record until you have the Super Bowl champs. I love this system because it’s the most fair way to regulate who gets to pick where. In contrast, the NBA has this stupid lottery system that can give a team who just barely missed the playoffs the top pick and leave the team most in need in the dumpster once more. I have no issues with how the NFL does it, but now with teams deciding who they are going to pick it takes away what should be an exciting event. This year was the worst I had seen. By the day of the draft we already knew who was going to be taken 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th overall. I get why they teams don’t care if everyone knows who they are going to take, I just want them to humor me and keep their lips sealed so I can enjoy the draft just that much more. 
Luck Going 1st Overall to the Colts
             
My last complaint deals with the way the draft has become a spectacle in the world of sports. I admit that it is great, but all of the coverage and the fact that it takes place over the course of 4 days is simply too much. The draft used to take 2 days all; day Saturday for the first 2 rounds and then Sunday on a less broadcasted channel for rounds 3-7. It was simple. It was fun. Now it has become the gaudy, yellow, big-rimmed Hummer of the sporting world. ESPN has built this monster of an event where no real sports action actually takes place. Last year they changed how the draft was set up and instead of the first round being on a Saturday it was moved to Thursday night, prime time TV, as if it was the on the same level as a championship game. Unfortunately there’s no stopping the snowball now. The NFL draft is already too big and too out of control to be contained. Fear, fear for your lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment