Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Most Valuable Player: 2011-2012 NBA Season

The end of the season is upon us. The playoffs start this weekend and all the biggest stars are sitting on their respective benches, watching the rookies and bench players finish out the season. In my last post, I gave you my opinion of the coach of the year. This time, I will present to you my opinion of the top 5 most valuable players:

1. LeBron James
Even I am doubting this decision. But maybe I shouldn't? I'm not a big fan of LeBitch but I do think that he is the most valuable player in the league. He has continued to dominate throughout the entire season, hardly missing any games due to injury. LeBron's value can be measured based on his team. Without LeBron, Miami really wouldn't be all that good of a team. James is who makes that team good. Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh do not make the Miami Heat title contenders, LeBron James does. However, I still don't think the Heat have what it takes to win it all. Better luck next time. Hand LeBron his third MVP award and let's get on our merry way.

2. Kobe Bryant
Kobe scares me more than any player in the league, even if he is getting old. In crunch time, no player is more clutch than Kobe. He can have a horrible game, but still manage to hit the game winner as if it were any other layup. Although he has been injured for small parts of the season, he has fought through the pain and shown that he can play. He may seem like a ball hog sometimes, but he does make his teammates much better because the opposing team is so concentrated on what Kobe is doing. This has resulted in Andrew Bynum becoming one of the best big men (and almost in my top 5 MVP vote) in the league.

3. Kevin Durant
The "Durantula" is flowering like the most elegant rose the world has yet to see. He will get the MVP next season, mark my word. He hasn't been injured hardly at all, is incredibly consistent, and one of the nicest guys in the league. He never causes any trouble and is never on the negative side of media coverage. Did I mention he is leading the league in points per game (28ppg)? Captain Durant has turned OKC in to a team that no one wants to play against.

4. Rajon Rondo
What would a list of mine be without something Celtics-oriented? Rajon Rondo is the best point guard in the league (sorry, Tony and Chris). He is leading the league in assists this season and has shown that the Celtics are HIS team. He is a very traditional point guard, which is what makes him the best. He knows how to make everyone around him better with his savvy passes and incredible court vision. He is arguably the fastest player in the league, his ability to read the defense is outstanding, and despite what some may think, he can score WHENEVER he wants to. He may not show it, but Rondo has one of the best offensive skill sets in the league. He can post up, shoot the mid-range jumper (far more consistently than he used to), and also blow by defenders going towards the hoop. He also average more rebounds per game than any other point guard. He is a triple-double waiting to happen. In fact, he is leading the league in triple-doubles this season with 5.

5. Tony Parker
Tony Parker is one of my favorite players. He is the opposite of flashy, but the epitome of success. He can do it all. He has led the Spurs to two straight seasons atop the western conference. He can score, defend, pass, and win. The Spurs are by no means young, yet Parker has been the catalyst that has brought the Spurs to where they are today.

1 comment:

  1. I see that you didn't put Rose which I'm guessing is because he was out for a bit. I think lebron will end up getting it again, which is unfortunate because I hate him but you can't argue against what he has done. I also like how you put a Spur on here, because someone on that team deserves some recognition for how well they have been playing.

    ReplyDelete