Monday, April 16, 2012

Who Would You Rather Play With?

Steve Nash
A point guard that goes for his points first or a point guard that looks to pass first? I personally love playing with point guards that have a mixture of both of these attributes, but you know what I mean. Would you rather play with Russell Westbrook or Rajon Rondo? Brandon Jennings or Steve Nash? Recent trends are showing that NBA players want to play with point guards that get a lot of assists and I don't blame them. When I play with a point guard that looks to score before anything else, it doesn't feel like much of a team endeavor. The point guard has the ball more than anyone else, so it's important that that player be a facilitator over a solo scorer.
Brandon Jennings

Both Russell Westbrook and Brandon Jennings are incredible point guards, but they shoot before they pass. This results in 40+ point games frequently, but I fail to see them as true point guards. When I check the NBA news every day, I look at rebounds and assists before anything. Who got the most rebounds last night? Who gave the most assists? Teams with players that can either rebound or assist effectively have a better chance of winning. Players like Rajon Rondo and Steve Nash are incredible scorers, but they also top the league in assists every season. They look to get their teammates involved, which makes everyone more confident and willing to fight for the win. Basketball is a team sport, not a "1 v 5" challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I would want to play with Nash this year, because he still has game and I think right now he would be the most fun. Rondo the next 2-3 seasons after that because he is the best true point guard, but he comes off a little douchey to me which may have to do with being under the tutelage of Kevin Garnett for so long. Once I was sick of having to look out for Rondo's insane no-look passes I would want to play with Jennings. He can do both, pass and score, which he has shown this season, averaging 6.4 assists this month. I would never, ever, ever want to play with Westbrook. He's more selfish than Carmelo and Kobe combined. Every game he looks off the best pure scorer in the game in Kevin Durant, 10+ times. He's absolutely ridiculous, and can't accept being in the shadow of Durant and it shows. Clearly I am biased because KD is my favorite player but I want OKC to ship Westbrook asap.

    ReplyDelete