Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sprite Slam Dunk Contest...But Without The Excitement

Chase Budinger
Leading up to All-Star Saturday night (on February 25), I am finding it pretty difficult to be excited. Throughout most of my life, I have always been so ecstatic about All-Star Weekend for months in advance at a time. Blame it on the condensed schedule, but this year I am really not all that exuberant. I typically plan my entire weekend around the Rookie Challenge on Friday night, All Star Saturday night, and then the All Star game on Sunday night. This year, I'm already beginning to make plans to go downtown with friends and not even think about the festivities. Sure, the All Star game will be exciting, but it's Saturday night that I'm usually so pumped about and it's the dunk contest that really attracts the viewers. This year, it seems that everyone is talking about who isn't in the dunk contest rather than who is. That's not usually a good sign. There's no Blake Griffin (the reigning champion). And as usual, there is no LeBron James, the player everyone wants to see in the contest.
Iman Shumpert

Instead, viewers are being given players Chase Budinger, Paul George, Iman Shumpert, and Derrick Williams. These guys can certainly thrown down some nasty dunks but what ever happened to the old days when star players actually wanted to be involved in the dunk contest? For example, the days when Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins went head to head were the best years of the contest. The Contest has only been around since 1984, but it has taken a significant dip in recent years. Maybe I am just being pessimistic and the whole weekend will be incredible. I'm certainly hesitant though....

No comments:

Post a Comment