Tuesday, February 7, 2012

#1 East Coast Mountain



        I've been skiing since I could walk, and since then I've skied almost all the mountains scattered around the east coast and a handful over in Colorado, Utah, California, Montana and more. And I can tell you that I WILL continue to think that Smugglers Notch its the best ski resort on the east coast. Reviews and critics alike, tend to give Smuggs this so called "family" reputation. I can even remember when riding up the lifts with ski bums out west, when I told them where I was from Smuggs they would reply "oh, thats next to Stowe right?" or "I've heard about Smuggs, something about being one of the best "family" resorts". These are the two things that I hate to hear the most and only apply to Morse. Smuggs is really broken up into two mountains; Morse and Madonna. Morse is more of the tourist section filled with lodges, restaurants, groomers and hot-tubs. Madonna is where you'll witness the locals strapping on their boots before the lifts start turning, the real Smuggs.
           Let me assure you that parts of Smuggs are NOT for the faint-hearted, the MOST difficult terrain I have ever skied was found deep within the mountain. Its true that the groomers, glades, and mogul runs aren't that advanced or even that good, but once you start exploring you will find a completely different mountain. Sterling Lift-line is one of my favorite trails out of any mountain I've ever skied. On a normal mid season day one can expect (all within one run); mogul's, powder, rocks, cliffs, water-bars, and if you charge it hard enough the entire lift will erupt with whistles and hoots & hollers. The thing about Smuggs is that ever day, ever trail changes, its always new and will always keep you on your toes.
          The above picture was taken after a foot or more of snowfall out in the legendary "backbowls" of Smuggs. Some of the best woods skiing in the nation can be found there, it's even been featured in many ski movies and magazines. The picture to the left was taken off the right side of Madonna. After about 5 minutes of bushwhacking and hiking we found some untouched sunny corn-snow in late March.
          People don't believe that the terrain is some of the most diverse and extreme, but its true. And not only is it the terrain that I love, its the overall local vibe the people give off everyday. If you happen to ride up chairlift with someone you don't know, chances are they live within 20 minutes and have been skiing Smuggs most of their life. I've encountered so many people that have told me all about how the mountain has changed since they were little kids, or how they've visited every winter for their entire lives and just can't seem to get enough. Smuggs does have its fare share of tourists that populate the slopes, but nowhere near the amount that other mountains today get (besides Mad River Glen, another GREAT local mountain).
         Smuggs often gets the reputation of being an easy mountain, or not as "big" because it doesn't have quads, gondolas or high speed lifts. But I personally think that's what makes its special, a feeling that your not just one among the "masses" of people out skiing. Smuggs has also created some excellent skiers. One of my best friends, neighbor and ski partner, Griffin Dunne, skied Smuggs his whole life, never got out west to some of the more "big mountain" terrain or any of the larger mountain around the east, and he recently placed first in the Freeskiing World Tour finals last winter at Jay Peak. And during the past few years we've both skied with some real young kids at Smuggs, and both seem some amazing talent. 

1 comment:

  1. I do not ski, although I grew up in Vermont, which is something that I'm always getting questioned about. However, it is something that I would like to try to learn, so this is interesting for me to read about. This past weekend I tried cross country skiing for the first time in my life, and I know that nordic and alpine are totally different, but I thought it was so difficult! I kept falling and couldn't get back up, but hopefully if I try some alpine I would have better luck.

    ReplyDelete