Thursday, February 9, 2012

The NBA's Best Point Guards

I had a load of fun listing my version of the top five best teams in the league in my last post, so I figured I would provide another list. This time, I am listing my version of the top five point guards in the NBA. Check it out:

1. Derrick Rose
This one is a no-brainer. Being the defending MVP of the league, Rose and the Bulls are on top of the Eastern Conference and looking better than ever. Rose has worked to develop a very reliable mid-range and three point shot that he did not have when he first came in to the league. His main weapon is his stunningly quick crossover move that nearly breaks the ankles of everyone who even attempts to guard him. On top of that, he finishes around the rim better than anyone in the league, in my opinion. He has unbelievable hangtime that allows him to score pretty easily.
Chris Paul

2. Chris Paul
Nearly traded to Boston just a couple months ago, Chris Paul is second to Derrick Rose on my list. Although Chris Paul is a better defender and shooter, Derrick Rose has the quickness over Paul. Chris Paul is consistently a near league leader in steals per game, assists per game, and points per game. Now the starting point guard for the Los Angeles Clippers, fans should get much more used to plenty of lobs being thrown to Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.

3. Rajon Rondo
Rajon Rondo
Rajon Rondo may not have the shooting abilities of Derrick Rose and Chris Paul, but he is easily the best passer in the league. Averaging more than 10 assists per game, Rondo is the floor general and facilitator of the Boston Celtics. He is also an elite defender and has made the All-NBA Defensive Team twice now. This is not to say that the man can't score. He is just as quick as Derrick Rose and gets to the basket with relative ease. He is very good at finishing around the hoop and is improving on his jump shot every season.
Russell Westbrook

4. Russell Westbrook
Russell Westbrook is surely one of the most exciting point guards in the league. Being much taller than the average PG, Russell gets to the hoops and throws down filthy dunks on a nightly basis. Westbrook isn't necessarily great at any one thing but is very good at almost every aspect of the game. He is incredibly young for his skill level and was just announced to participate in his first NBA All-Star Game this year.

5. Steve Nash
This 38-year-old 2-time NBA MVP may not make the top 5 list in most "best PG" lists, but I love Steve Nash. He is one of the most fundamentally sound players in the NBA. Although he may be slowing down quite a bit, he is still one of the best shooters, passers, and team players that I've ever watched. He is also quite the humanitarian, which is a plus in my book.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I don't watch a lot of basketball these days (I'd rather spend an hour playing than two watching), but I would still rather watch Steve Nash than any other player. Forget Lebron, Kobe, all those players - Nash, in my opinion, is by far the most fun to watch. Some of the highlight reels of him on YouTube are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete