Monday, February 20, 2012

Ski Etiquette

        For those of you out there skiing mountains on the east coast this winter, your probably wondering "where is all the snow?". Well, I also have no idea, which really limits some of the awesome terrain and back-country topics that I could be covering. On the other side, the lack of snow leads to some slick conditions and possibly a greater percentage of tourists on the mountain (most of the locals would rather stay in). I noticed skiing this week that, more and more people were wiping out or falling on these slick conditions, which can be slightly amusing from the chairlift (Serious ski accidents are NOT, I repeat NOT, funny in anyway shape or form, however the less serious "tourist-tumbles" are HILARIOUS). In fact, its common to see the more well known skiers mock such accidents, and skiers alike, in ski films.
        After seeing a great deal of crashes this weekend I started looking around the internet for a few more serious ones. I made sure to find some serious crashes in which on-one was hurt, again NOT to be laughed at.
        This first video shows how wrong it is to ski difficult terrain faster than your comfortable with. The guy in this video seemed like a decent skier however, you always need to be in control of your speed. That is the most important part about skiing.

        The second video is VERY terrifying. Every time I watch it my stomach turns right before he falls. This is a very serious crash and this guy is more than lucky to survive this crash. To fall over cliff-bands and the distance this guy went is possibly the most dangerous way to crash. This is the last video I will show you, and I recommend you don't watch this on a full stomach.






No comments:

Post a Comment