Monday, March 12, 2012

MLB '12: The Show - Yay for Video Games!

For the second volume of my spring training edition, I would like to shift focus from the actual sport to the playable video simulation version.  I grew up playing Baseball, and in High School played Varsity in the Spring, and some other league in every other season (AAU in the Summer, indoor league at the Edge in Williston during the Winter, 'Fall Ball' and so on).  In my experience, it is the most difficult sport as far as all around skills required to play at a high level.  Sports scientists argue, the simple physics of trying to hit a small round ball with a round bat, especially the ball is traveling 90 mph or 80 mph with a whole bunch of movement, is the hardest thing to do in sports.  I tend to agree.  However, pressing the X button on a PS3 controller is quite easy.  Being that I am currently recovering from my third shoulder surgery and will never be able to throw a baseball again, I have gained an appreciation for sports simulation video games.  I don't even like Soccer, but the FIFA video game franchise is awesome; few would disagree.  Regarding the other major sports, NBA 2K, Madden, and NHL (EA sports) have established themselves as the premier games available.  MLB: The Show is following in FIFA's footsteps as far as year in and year out releasing an extremely high quality sports simulation.  The most recent edition of 'The Show' came out a few days ago and although I can't yet say that its better than last year's version, probably because I was just partial to that one and very used to it, its another great installment and a true Baseball simulation in every sense of the word.

Even the difficulty of Baseball is transmitted to the screen.  Although pressing buttons on a controller might be easy as far as a physical activity, the game is actually pretty hard especially if you play online as I do.  It's not a pick up and play arcade style sports game, and requires some knowledge of the sport to succeed.  I won't go into detail about the game's features and whatnot, because frankly that's not very interesting and this isn't a video game blog.  For all you gamers, I'm sure you know where to find an in-depth review online.  But here is a look at the realism of the presentation and some of the game play.  It's best appreciated in full screen mode, so if you have trouble full-screening you can simply click on the center of the video image and it will bring you to the original youtube video.  'The Show' is without question the best Baseball video game out there, and it is exclusive to the PS3.  So for those with an XBOX, sucks for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment